The World Bank Group has set two goals for the world to achieve by 2030:
- End extreme poverty by decreasing the percentage of people living on less than $1.90 a day to no more than 3%
- Promote shared prosperity by fostering the income growth of the bottom 40% for every country
The World Bank is a vital source of financial and technical assistance to developing countries around the world. Not a bank in the ordinary sense, but a unique partnership to reduce poverty and support development. The World Bank Group comprises five institutions managed by their member countries.
- IBRD: The International Bank for Reconstruction and Development
- IDA: The International Development Agency
- IFC: The International Financial Corporation
- MIGA: The International Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency
- ICSID: The International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes
Established in 1944, the World Bank Group is headquartered in Washington, D.C. and has more than 10,000 employees in over 120 offices worldwide.
For more information, please visit: http://www.worldbank.org/en/about.